In this tutorial, we will explain how to illustrate a pair of blue sports shoes. Certainly, you’ve seen a pair of them before. As both shoes are alike, we just create one of them and make a copy of it. This illustration is simple and easy; as well as not requiring a mastery of Illustrator software. Let’s get started!
1. Draw a sole by Pen Tool.
2. Fill it with gradient color by Gradient Tool.
3. Draw a black line by Pen Tool at the middle of the sole and increase its thickness as necessary.
4. To edit the outer part of the shape, go to the Object/Path/Outline Stroke, using Direct Selection Tool edit the position of the nodes.
5. Draw a line by Pen Tool at the top of the sole and increase its thickness.
6. To edit the ends of the line, repeat step 4.
7. To design lug edge at the front of the shoes, draw a sketch and fill it in with gradient color by Gradient palette and Tool.
8. To create edge’s lugs, draw a normal line. Increase its thickness and fill it with gray color.
9. Go to the Effect/Distort & Transform/Transform and repeat the line.
10. Select the lines and go to the Object/Expand. Select the line again and go to the Appearance palette/Add New Stroke. Set new Stroke by choosing a low thickness and a darker color.
11. Put the front edge on the lines, and after selection of the two objects, go to the Object/Clipping Mask/Make. Put the line on the front edge of the shoe.
12. As lug lines should curve towards the end of front edge, move the nodes by Direct Selection Tool and turn each node to curve it by Convert Anchor Point or by clicking (Shift+C).
13. Draw a white shape at the top of the front edge.
14. Draw a tongue by Pen Tool.
15. Fill it with gradient and appropriate color.
16. To cover the end of the tongue with white shape, use Pen tool and draw that shape.
17.Draw left body by Pen Tool and add white outline to it. Fill it with gradient and appropriate color.
18. Draw the right body, so that it seems to be partially appearing, by Pen Tool.
19. Draw the aft-gray body by Pen Tool.
20. Create an eyelet by drawing a circle (1). Increase its thickness (2). Go to the Object/Path Outline Stroke and fill it with gradient color (3). Put a white circle on it such that part of the underneath circle appears to come from the side (4). Draw a coinciding and smaller circle for the darkness of eyelet.
21. Repeat the eyelet at the suitible position (Ctrl+D), respectively.
22. Draw the laces by Pen Tool from one side to other side. Fill them with darkish gray color and go to the Transparency palette/Multiply.
23. Take a copy from the shadows and change its Transparency from Multiply to Normal. The status of the laces should be such that the underneath shadow seems to appear partially.
24. To put the bottom lace on the shoe, select the lace and go to the Object/Arrange/Bring to Front.
25. Draw right laces toward the eyelets and make them bright with gray color.
26. You can use available items in the Object/Arrange until the lace takes place on the top or bottom. You can also select the position of the shadows and lace nodes by Direct Selection and putting them at the appropriate location.
27. Draw the seams of the shoe by Pen Tool and fill them with bright blue color. Go to the Stroke palette/Dashed Line and set the seam’s shape by putting a number in the items.
28.Draw body’s seam as your last drawing step.
29.Add the seams of the tongue and the aft body.
30. To create suitable shadowing, draw a sketch as shown.
31. To blur the shape, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur. Go to the Appearance palette and set Opacity=50.
32. Put the shadow at the suitable location.
33. Select all sketches and take a copy of them. Set copy at the back of first shoe by Object/Arrange/Send to Back. Shorten it partially and put it at the suitable location. You’re done!